04 April 2012

Classically Inspired.



I recently received the Trade catalog from Made Goods. While looking at their offerings I saw many things that I liked quite a bit. Amongst those items were these two classically inspired pieces. I would actually use either this mirror or this lamp as accent or "jewel" pieces in a contemporary or eclectic interior design. I would not necessarily consider them to be limited to a classic or traditional design, just because they exude such qualities. I find it fun, amusing and interesting mixing and contrasting contemporary elements into a more traditional setting. This design direction I have led for quite some time. I call it "Urban Sophisticated". The lamp above is called "Troy". The base of this piece is a classically inspired bust made out of resin. The resin body is set upon a crystal acrylic base and finished with a white silk drum shade. I love the contrast between the richly detailed resin bust and the simple crystal lamp base. The silk shade is lovely and uncomplicated. Shown below is "Angelica". This hand carved Louis Philippe mirror features an angel sitting at the top, surrounded by floral scrolls. It is antiqued in 24 carat gold leaf. The frame itself is a hand painted blue color that is lightly abraded with a whitewashed topcoat. Both pieces are from Made Goods and are available through the Trade.